Dear SC147 and Gary:
1) the child was born after my husband had made the renounciation of his British passport. 2) my status of acquiring of British citizenship is "by descent" but my husband status is "Otherwise than by descent".
- GaryLv 76 年前最愛解答
Unable to answer.
Based on your information, many details are missing and you have many misunderstandings:
Missing detail -
1. What was the date that your husband and you on the certificate of registration, or other official document?
2. When was the official date of renunciation?
3. What is the date of birth of your child?
4. What kind of U.K. passports do you have now?
5. Where did you exactly apply?
1. Right to abode (居英權) does not automatically mean British Citizenship. The legal term of Right to abode in the U.K. is indefinite leave to remain (ILR).
A person needs not to be a British to have or obtain ILR.
The BNSS scheme (英國國籍甄選計劃, aka 居英權計劃) in the 1990s does not only grant the applicants the ILR, it also grants the citizenship as well.
2. Excluding emergency passport, the U.K. has 6 different kinds of passports. Even the most common BN(O) Passport is still a British Passport.
3. It is possible that a BN(O) Passport holder has ILR but the holder is not a British citizen.
Without the information, your issues can't be addressed.
2015-04-02 18:41:54 補充：
2. 保安問題，大部分領事館(包括英領館)不對外開放，無預約見領事? 閉門羹就有。
3. 無英國公民護照去英國住? 你想過期居留?
2015-04-07 14:35:37 補充：
The HM Passport Office, or the U.K. Government agency you deal with is correct.
Your son is not even a British national at all. He is a strictly Chinese citizen (or citizen of other country if either parents has others).
2015-04-07 14:38:18 補充：
Although your husband can request to restore the citizenship, since the son is born during the time he was not a British citizen. Th son can't be a British citizen from the father.
Then it is your turn.
The main reason your son is not a British citizen is you are a citizen by descent.
2015-04-07 14:43:54 補充：
Certain requirements must be met before a citizen by descent passes the citizenship to children. As a rule of thumb, citizenship can be passed to one generation only. Since you get it from your parents, you have used that chance already.
2015-04-07 14:45:34 補充：
Continued at Comment.
2015-04-07 14:45:43 補充：
Continued at Comment.
2015-04-07 14:47:21 補充：
Unless you have ever lived in the U.K. after your child is born, or you are a Consulate or British Council employee when your child is born, the only way your son can get a citizenship is through a settlement visa and naturalization.
There is another method. It will be easier but unlikely.
2015-04-07 14:47:40 補充：
Your husband must restore the citizenship first.
2015-04-07 14:48:49 補充：
Then your entire family moves to the U.K. (while your son uses a settlement visa).
Once you are settled, petition to the Home Secretary for a discretion for citizenship.
2015-04-13 05:09:06 補充：
b. National Insurance Card並不影響英國護照申請。
- SC147Lv 66 年前
Mandy, 我很明白你的情況，當年申請居英權的主要申請人是你丈夫，所以妳和兒子都 entiltled 有居英權，但妳丈夫放棄了居英權，並不代表妳和兒子放棄，以我所知，妳丈夫申請到居英權時就有一張叫做 " Certificate of Registration " 會有三張，一張是妳丈夫名字，一張是妳名字，一張是妳兒子名字。拿著這張 "Certificate of Registration " of citizenship. 妳便可申請英國護照。
妳亦可以和兒子到英國居住，用妳的名義在當地申請英國 National Insurance Card (這咭如同香港身份証)，妳便在當地替妳兒子申請英國護照會比較容易。
2015-04-13 00:18:34 補充：
Sorry, I haven't mentioned anything about the American consulate. I know where is the British Consulate in Hong Kong, it is located at 1, Supreme Court Road. My reply is only to help, not to deceive somebody. Lastly, I remain, I am not blind.