How can God give us free will and be omniscient at the same time?

Where free will is defined as the ability to choose between alternatives: God is omniscient. Since God is omniscient, God has infallible foreknowledge. If God has infallible foreknowledge that tomorrow you will engage in an event (mow the lawn), then you must invariably engage in that event (mowing the lawn).... 顯示更多 Where free will is defined as the ability to choose between alternatives: God is omniscient. Since God is omniscient, God has infallible foreknowledge. If God has infallible foreknowledge that tomorrow you will engage in an event (mow the lawn), then you must invariably engage in that event (mowing the lawn).

Therefore, free-will is not possible since you have no alternative except to engage in the event (mow the lawn). In the event that you do not fulfill event, then God is not omniscient. Alternatively, if you engage in event, then you don't have free will on account of the inability to choose another alternative.

If it is to be understood that God created all that is created, the principle asserts that this poses a problem for any passive knowledge on God's part. An understanding of omniscience must be joined with an understanding of God's omnipresence in time. If God knows all events—past, future, and present—then He would know all events and decisions an individual would make, though from the individual’s perspective those events and decisions have not yet occurred. This can be viewed, at least implicitly, as a nullification of any concept of free will for any individual, though no mechanism for God's apparent foreknowledge restraining the freedom to act is posited by the principle of theological fatalism. Since, according the Christian theology, God is atemporal (existing outside of time), God knows from creation the entire course of one's life, all the actions in which he will partake, and even whether or not that individual will accept His divine authority. With these preconditions, only a starkly fatalistic theological position seems imaginable to some.

Because God has absolute foreknowledge, that means he has absolute responsibility. So, why does God create people he knows will end up in hell?

God knew that Adam would eat the fruit, god knew what children Adam would have, and God knew what each Children would decide, and each of their children and so on and so forth. How did he know? He's God.
There can be no free-will if God had foreknowledge of all events before you were even created. Also, it is contridictary to state that God could hide information from himself. If you believe that, then you also believe God could create a rock so big even he couldn't lift it.
My personal opinion is that yes, we do have free will, and herein lies the problem. If God exists, he would be all powerful, all loving and all knowing. Therefore, he would know how are lives are going to turn out. I don't think this takes away our free will, as it could simply be argued that he already knows how we will use our free will - knowing that God knows the response to our choices doesn't limit them. So far so good, but the problem arises when you factor in judgment, and heaven and hell. An all loving God would not create something and then condemn it to eternal punishment, that is the most twisted and sadistic thing I can imagine. If he knows how our lives will map out, he can see that some will reject him, and he condemns those to eternal punishment - before they are even born
Although god doesn't choose what we will choose, doesn't the act of him choosing to create us when he knows what we will choose make him responsible for the choices we make?

Give a guy a gun and a knife and put him in a room without air -- you aren't making the choice of how he will die, but you are responsible for putting him in a situation where there could be only one outcome.... isn't god responsible for putting us in a situation where he knows there will be only one outcome and he knows what it will be?

Revelation 19:6 it is stated "...the Lord God omnipotent reigneth"
Almighty. The very word means.... omnipotence.
Jeremiah 32:27: Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:5 NIV)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,..." (Eph. 1:3-5, NASB
"... but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; ..." (1Co. 2:7, NASB)
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. (Psa. 139:16, NASB)
更新: If God is all knowing, there isn't a need to test us. The moment he thought to create 'ME' he knew what I was capable of, what I would do, and how my life would play out. There is NO point to creation if you're all powerful and all knowing. You ALREADY KNOW how it would play out, there isn't... 顯示更多 If God is all knowing, there isn't a need to test us. The moment he thought to create 'ME' he knew what I was capable of, what I would do, and how my life would play out.

There is NO point to creation if you're all powerful and all knowing. You ALREADY KNOW how it would play out, there isn't any point to watching it, you already know, there is no need for a test, you already know the outcome.
"God gives everyone some light. Depending on how they respond to that light is how they will be judged."

However, God chooses when, how much and what type of "light" everyone is given. He knows exactly what that person would choose as a result of having been shown that certain type and amount of "light," and when it is shown to them, and He deliberatly chooses to show it in a manner that will result in most of them burning in the Hell He created for all eternity.
更新 2: Because God has absolute foreknowledge, that means he has absolute responsibility. Since God the Father is an all-knowing God, he knows how each of us are going to end up, but the really incredible thing is that he has known this for all of eternity. He knew long before the universe was even in existence whether... 顯示更多 Because God has absolute foreknowledge, that means he has absolute responsibility. Since God the Father is an all-knowing God, he knows how each of us are going to end up, but the really incredible thing is that he has known this for all of eternity. He knew long before the universe was even in existence whether you and I were going to end up in heaven or in hell. But if that is the case, then why did God allow the unsaved to be brought into this world? People who he knew he would eventually have to toss into the lake of fire?
Also one can not imply that God can do and know everything and then say he can will himself to not know something. This is called the "Liars Paradox". Examples of it include: "This statement is false" or the question, can "God create a rock so heavy that he himself can not lift it?"
更新 3: I mentioned the "Liar Paradox" because some people like to take the easy approach to this question and announce that God simply wills himself to not have the foreknowledge of a persons pre-destination when this is not only a logical contradiction but a biblical one as well.
更新 4: Of course he is RESPONSIBLE for the choices we choose to make, for example if he didn't create us we couldn't have any choices. If God is all-knowing and powerful then he must know what is going to happen but if that's right then he knew evil would get the better of us and that would mean he isn't... 顯示更多 Of course he is RESPONSIBLE for the choices we choose to make, for example if he didn't create us we couldn't have any choices.
If God is all-knowing and powerful then he must know what is going to happen but if that's right then he knew evil would get the better of us and that would mean he isn't all-loving (which he is meant to be). It also rules out the idea that all things were made to choose their own path and choose to follow God.
更新 5: Foreknowledge of an event DOES REFUTE FREE WILL *****In the event that the Creator has the ability (which he does) to stop a person from ever existing, or to choose to have a person exist, the creator of said person after being given said choice takes responsibility of everything that occurs afterwards. This would... 顯示更多 Foreknowledge of an event DOES REFUTE FREE WILL *****In the event that the Creator has the ability (which he does) to stop a person from ever existing, or to choose to have a person exist, the creator of said person after being given said choice takes responsibility of everything that occurs afterwards. This would not be the case if God did not possess complete foreknowledge, because he could not be held responsible for things he did not know would occur. However, he DOES have complete foreknowledge and thus after making his choice (To create or not create each individual person) he MUST be held accountable for said individuals entire life. A few of you are trying to compare ordinary foreknowledge of a normal person vs. Gods foreknowledge without factoring in "Choice of creation" and "Complete foreknowledge".
更新 6: A perfect example of foreknowledge implying responsibility: When God places you on this Earth, he is placing you in a situation where you will inevitably die. You have no choice in the matter, and he placed you in the situation knowing that you would die, thus he is responsible for it. Much like, if God places... 顯示更多 A perfect example of foreknowledge implying responsibility: When God places you on this Earth, he is placing you in a situation where you will inevitably die. You have no choice in the matter, and he placed you in the situation knowing that you would die, thus he is responsible for it.

Much like, if God places you on Earth when he knows you will go to Heaven or Hell, he is responsible for it.

Even though A person may make choices which dictate where he/she ends up, it is the foreknowlege of this destination by God that implies His responsibility for said persons destination.

If I push a man in front of a truck knowing 99% for sure that it would kill him, could I not say "Had he had quicker reflexes or chose to zig instead of zag he would have lived so I am not responsible", no, so why should God who knows 100% of where this push (which I call creation) will land each of us not be held accountable either? Especially when he knows his push will land us in hell.
更新 7: Unfortunately, I have found that far too much of a persons religious beliefs are comprised of what they would prefer to think rather. Via an amazingly complex system of compartmentilized thinking, and... gosh I'm usually not short on words to describe things but I didn't sleep tonight, suffice it to say... 顯示更多 Unfortunately, I have found that far too much of a persons religious beliefs are comprised of what they would prefer to think rather. Via an amazingly complex system of compartmentilized thinking, and... gosh I'm usually not short on words to describe things but I didn't sleep tonight, suffice it to say that there IS a tendency in people to see what they want to see, and reject what they don't want to see. Quick example, if a person really wanted to believe that a coin landed on heads for him more often - he might stop while he is ahead instead of letting the average even out. Or he might conventiently forget a couple of the times a coin landed on tails, or he might be more prone to blame the coin landing on tails on a change in weather and disregard that flip, etc. Sadly it's the same thing with religion. Miracles are Gods work, disasters are Mother natures. Why? Because we want to believe God is good, so we unknowingly stack the evidence by rationalizing with false logic.
更新 8: Zeal, yes I can tell you don't understand my logic. Simply put the crux of the matter lies in this. Free will isn't only about God not interfering with us, but about how predestination and free will itself do not mix. If God predestines a person to a fate, then what's the point of free will? I don't... 顯示更多 Zeal, yes I can tell you don't understand my logic. Simply put the crux of the matter lies in this. Free will isn't only about God not interfering with us, but about how predestination and free will itself do not mix. If God predestines a person to a fate, then what's the point of free will? I don't believe you can even call it free will at the point that God decides your fate. This post was an attempt to show how God decides your fate even if he doesn't interfere with you for the rest of your life after he creates you. God decides your fate the moment he thinks you up ~ and seals it the moment he creates you by the very act of creation coupled with his foreknowledge. If you can not comprehend that then I hope you can simply trust me about it, I assure you the logic is not flawed.
更新 9: Carried on for Zeals question: And the reason Gods act of thinking you up and creating you coupled with foreknowledge equates to Predestination (part of the reason at least) is that God HAS A CHOICE in deciding whether or not to make you -- that's the key thing right there. Your life isn't about the choices... 顯示更多 Carried on for Zeals question: And the reason Gods act of thinking you up and creating you coupled with foreknowledge equates to Predestination (part of the reason at least) is that God HAS A CHOICE in deciding whether or not to make you -- that's the key thing right there. Your life isn't about the choices you make if your very existence is the choice of another individual who knew all the choices you would make in the first place and then chose whether or not to create you. Even more important: God CHOOSES to create you when he knows you will end up in hell. IMO if he knows that he ought to simply not make you. Cuz what's the point? I'd rather not exist at all then end up in hell for eternity. What's a 72 years of life worth compared to hell for eternity, no thanks, I'll take non existence cuz then I won't even be able to contemplate what I'm missing so it won't matter and even if I could contemplate it I'd just be thankful I wasn't in hell. Grr I need to sleep lol.
13 個解答 13