the xx of Hong Kong

可寫嗎?

更新:

It’s clear indeed now!

2 個解答

評分
  • 1 十年前
    最愛解答

*A says (a park) when A mentions the place for the first time. When A talks about it again, A use (the) instead of (a) to refer to it. This is the basic use of (the):to refer to the person or thing we mentioned earlier.

*Then B says (the book) and (the library) although B has not mentioned them before. This is because it is clear to A which (book) and (library) B is talking about.Here is more examples:

It's raining. Close 《the window》,Tom.《=the window of the room》

Compare: A thief climbed into the house through《a window 》on the second floor.

《It is not clear which window the speaker refers to. 》

《The telephone 》is ringing. Please answer it.

Compare: I want to call my mother. Is there 《a telephone 》in this store?

*This also explains why we say:

a) 《the sun 》,《the moon 》,《 the earth》,《the Peak 》, etc. because there is only one sun , moon ,etc.and so both the speaker and the listener know which one is meant.

b) 《 the windowof the room》,《 the boy in blue jeans》, etc. because the phrases that come after the nouns tell which one is meant.

Compare: I like《cats》.

I like 《the cats》in the pet shop.

2007-03-13 18:46:22 補充:

the xx of the xx ( Wrong) may right , but I can't think about it = =the xx of a xx (Right) the window of a room xx of the xx (Right) best of the bestthe xx of HK (Right) the bulidings of HK

資料來源: me
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 十年前

The word the is the only definite article of the English language. The is the most common word in the English language.[3]

The article the is used in English as the very first part of a noun phrase. For example:

It's the end of time.

Here "the end of time" is a noun phrase. The use of the signals that the reference is to a specific and unique instance of the concept (such as person, object, or idea) expressed in the noun phrase. Here, the implication is that there is one end of time, and that it has arrived.

The time is 9:40 AM.

There are many times, but the meaning here is the time now, of which (at the moment the sentence was produced) there is only one.

That bear is the hairiest being ever.

Only one being can be the hairiest ever.

In the movie Return of the Killer Tomatoes, a framing sequence has a Guess the Mystery Word contest. In a fourth wall-breaking scene, Professor Gangrene is called up and asked to guess the mystery word, which, he is told, is a common word. The word ends up being "the", which he says by accident, winning the contest.

A UK based rock band calls itself The The.

Linguists believe that the common ancestor of the Indo-European languages (i.e., the Proto-Indo-European language) did not have a definite article. Most of the languages in this family do not have definite or indefinite articles; there is no article in Latin, Sanskrit, or in some modern Indo-European languages like standard Russian. Errors with the use of the and other determiners are common in people learning English. Classical Greek has a definite article, but Homeric Greek did not. In the etymologies of these and many other languages, the definite article arose by a demonstrative pronoun or adjective changing its usage; compare the fate of the Latin demonstrative "ille" (meaning, "that") in the Romance languages, becoming French le, la, l’, and les, Spanish el, la, lo, los, and las, Italian il, la, lo, l’, i, gli, and le, and Portuguese o, os, a, and as.

The and that are common developments from the same Old English system. Old English had a definite article se, in the masculine gender, seo (feminine), and þæt (neuter). In Middle English these had all merged into the, the ancestor of the Modern English word.

In Middle English the (þe) was frequently abbreviated as a þ with a small e above it, similar to the abbreviation for that, which was a þ with a small t above it. When the letter Thorn evolved into a y shape in latter Middle English and Early Modern English, the abbreviation similarly changed to a y with an e above it. This can still be seen in reprints of the 1611 edition of the King James Version of the Bible in places such as Romans 15:29.

還有問題嗎?立即提問即可得到解答。