Some question for about Magnesium?
1. Family name (if any)?
2. Physical state of matter under room temperature and pressure?
3. Who discovered the elements?
4. When and where it was discovered?
5. Where it is found and what it is used for (at least 2 daily life applications)?
6.Any other interesting information?
- 1 十年前最愛解答
Facts about magnesium
1. It belongs to Group II (Alkaline earth metal) in the Periodic Table
2. Solid state in room conditions (25 degree celcius, 1atm)
3&4 Being recognized as an element in 1755 by Joseph Black in Scotland. Sir Humphry Davy electrolytically isolated pure magnesium metal in 1808.
5. Could be found as magnesium compounds in Earth's crust by weight, seawater, large deposits of magnesite, dolomite, and other minerals, organisms' bodies, etc. However, the free element (metal) is not found in nature.
Uses: combined in alloys for airplane and missile construction; the extremely high temperature at which magnesium burns makes it a tool for starting emergency fires during outdoor recreation.
6. Magnesium is the 8th most abundant element in the earth's crust, but it is the most commercially used. About the origin of the word "Magnesium": the name originates from a Greek district in Thessaly called Magnesia.
- 立基Lv 51 十年前
Magnesium (IPA: /magˈniːziəm, -ʒəm/) is the chemical element that has the symbol Mg, the atomic number 12, and an atomic mass of 24.31. Magnesium is the eighth most abundant element and constitutes about 2% of the Earth's crust by weight, and it is the third most plentiful element dissolved in seawater. Magnesium ion is essential to all living cells. The free element (metal) is not found in nature. Once produced from magnesium salts, this alkaline earth metal is used as an alloying agent to make aluminium-magnesium alloys, sometimes called "magnalium" or "magnelium".
for the rest of details, please check wikipedia