Purchasing an apt dictionary.........
I don't know which dictionary is better.Don't know how to opt for it.....
1)Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
2)Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary
3)Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
- KLv 71 十年前最愛解答
Personally, I suggest Longman's Contemporary English Dict., though the other two dicts. are also worth buying. (But if you asked this question 10 years ago, probably most people and I would still say Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.)
Compared with Oxford's, I like Longman's version because:
1) the illustrations are more detailed, and examples given are easier to understand (than Oxford's, which seem quite old-fashioned sometimes. maybe some sample sentences are still based on those when AS Hornby was still alive!)
2) good layout, and commonly used words are highlighted (in red, so we know which words we have to pay more attention to)
3) not only telling us definitions of a particular word, but also often giving us very useful notes [e.g. drawing our attention to alternative words with the section [WORD CHOICE], and easily made mistakes [GRAMMAR])
4) both have CD-ROMS which include exercises, but I find Longman's more useful, ESPECIALLY its Language Activator, which helps our essay writing a lot.
5) the only thing Oxford's version is better is it provides both US & UK pronunciation.
2007-01-14 14:04:21 補充：
it seems Oxford developed a good dict. earlier than others but it doesn t mean the latter can t outperform Oxford資料來源： I have dicts. 1 & 3, and have used no. 2 a few times before