My next assignment topic is "How progressive companies can differentiate themselves, position their products and maximise their potentials through core competence".
Pleae advise and give me examples.
Thanks a lot.
- albertkc2002Lv 51 十年前最愛解答
Core Competencies are the high ability in acquiring rare resources and distinctive capability, if both are failed to be imitated or copied by rivals in the industry. Core competency is a central set of knowledge in a company that when applied allows the company to create superior value relative to competitors and deliver it to customers that they are being delighted. Superior value of product and service can be created is due to the company’s remarkable performance such as superior innovation (likes 3M & Sharp), superior responsiveness (likes FedEx & Seven Eleven), superior quality (likes Toyota & GE) and superior efficiency (likes Wal-Mart & Dell)
The outcomes of the four superiors are therefore could be extremely low cost while extremely differentiated product and service in offering
The agenda of Core Competence varies in the four situations as follow according to G Hamel & CK Prahalad Competing for the Future, HBR Press Boston 1994, and p.227:
(1) Fill-In-The-Blanks, if a company can apply its Existing Core Competence for the Existing Product or Service Market, then continuous improving business position and opportunity against the rivals that superior efficiency( and low cost) can be realized
(2) Premier Plus-10 (Years), if a company can apply its New Core Competence for the Existing Product or Service Market, then it can be building, protecting and extending its franchise in current markets and might be lasting for 10 years, that it will be always the market leader of innovation
(3) White Spaces, if a company can apply its Existing Core Competence for the New Product or Service Market ten it can be redeploying or recombining its core competence for the untapped product or markets—highly differentiated
(4) Mega-opportunities, if a company can apply its New Core Competence for the New Product and Service Market, then it can be the long term market leader such as Viagra—with this disruptive technology is able to monopolize the market.資料來源： G Hamel & CK Prahalad Competing for the Future, HBR Press Boston 1994, and p.227
- 1 十年前
Thanks. I'm also interested in this topic. Anymore idea?
2006-11-25 14:20:29 補充：
Any HK examples? Thanks a lot.
- 1 十年前
the core competence definition is is a unique capability that affords some type of competitive advantage. It corresponds to a business process, and involves underlying skills, functions, systems and knowledge. (http://www.clarity-consulting.com/developing_a_cor...
the example will be Fed-EX core competence is superior logistics system and short delievery cycle time.
The other example is Windows software, I believe the core competence of Window software is user friendly and cost effective.