- BabyLv 61 十年前最愛解答
Home Safety Rules
Fire safety is a crucial issue for seniors who choose to live in their own home. Those caring for aging loved ones who wish to remain at home need to understand the fire risks and how to deal with them.
- Install a smoke alarm. Test each alarm monthly and replace the battery twice a year.
- Escape plan. Practise the plan. Keep hallways and stairs uncluttered.
- Smoking. Never smoke in bed. When they are finished smoking, have them soak the ashes in water before discarding them. Never to leave smoking materials unattended, and ensure that they collect them in large, deep ashtrays.
- Cooking. Never leave cooking food unattended. If they need to step away, they should turn off the stove. Keep lids nearby so that if the pan catches fire, they can carefully slide the lid on it and turn off the stove. Mount a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and check the pressure gauge monthly. Not to wear loose clothing when cooking: a dangling sleeve can easily catch fire. Keep towels and potholders away from the stove. Clean the exhaust hood and the duct over the stove regularly.
- Home fires caused by candles. Place candles away from absolutely anything that could catch fire. Burn them only when a responsible adult is overseeing the flame. Put them out of the reach of drafts, curtains, children and pets. Snuff them out before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Electrical Outlets. There is often a tendency to overload wall outlets. This is an unsafe practice and should be avoided even for short durations.
Inspect all cords before using. Make sure they are CSA certified. Look for loose connections or frayed or exposed wire. Discard any defective cords. Read the labels and manufacturer's instructions to ensure proper use.
Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord which is in use and do not run it under carpets or rugs.
- Parents with small children must take safety precautions to eliminate the risk of a child coming in to contact with poisons. Many common products are potentially life threatening if ingested, including medications, some house plants, cleaning products, alcohol and other substances in the home workshop or garage. First and foremost, keep those products out of sight and out of reach, preferably locked up. Buy products in child-resistant containers with safety caps and keep them in their original containers so they will be easily identified.
Always administer medicine according to the directions. Adults should take their medications out of the sight of children, and should never refer to medicine as "candy."
Supervision is critical. When using cleaning products never let young children out of your sight. If the phone or doorbell rings, take either the child or the product with you when you answer. When you have visitors, keep purses and other personal belongings out of reach; they may contain medicines or other items that could be harmful to a curious toddler. Similar precautions apply to visits to homes that have not been child-proofed.
- Propane is a colourless and odourless gas. A smell is added so you can detect a leak by a strong, distinct odour like rotten eggs or boiling cabbage. Leaking propane is heavier than air and will flow to low-lying areas.
If you suspect a leak, turn off the supply of propane at the cylinder and leave the area immediately. Do not turn light switches or flashlights on or off, or operate phones. Once you are well away from the area, phone your service supplier.